Pickwick the Dodo

Monday, January 31, 2005

Stories of my people

As any reader of my blog knows, I'm a determined bibliophile who can't get enough of the written word. That goes some distance to explaining my love of books-about-books, and especially Nancy and Lawrence Goldstone. They're book people in the truest sense of the word, and they also happen to be rather amusing authors themselves. I finished Slightly Chipped over the weekend and it's more of the same - a lighthearted look at the world of book collecting. I've never been much of a collector (limited funds will do that to you), but reading about the collector's world is fascinating stuff. Everyone likes to think that they'll be the one to find that rare first edition at a garage sale for $2, right? I know I don't know enough about book collecting to ever hope of making a find like that, so I have to live vicariously.

The book's pretty short so there's not a ton to say about it, but the Goldstone oeuvre is definitely recommended reading for book lovers. They've got a new book coming out here in a couple of months - a review for that should show up in the not-too-distant future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home