Pickwick the Dodo

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Dry country, dry wit

A two-fer today - I'm atoning for my blog-slacking sins here. I just finished up Alexander McCall Smith's The Full Cupboard of Life, the latest in his series chronicling the adventures of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. The Botswana-set series has caught fire around the country and deservedly so. The books beautifully capture the beauty of their setting while quietly sneaking in a wonderful dry wit and subtle charm. I've never had much desire to go to Africa, but McCall Smith manages to make me consider adding Botswana to my already lengthy list of places to visit before I die.

I'm really rather surprised at how much I enjoy McCall Smith's books. I'd kicked around the idea of trying out the series but wasn't sure I'd like it. My mom, who's my go-to authority on all things mystery, wasn't too sure about it either but bought the first one on the strength of the reviews. It sat on her shelf collecting dust for several months until I borrowed it on one of my trips home. I figure if I'm already heading back to Chicago with 20 books under my arm one more isn't going to kill me. I eventually got around to reading it and discovered a rather nice little gem. I don't typically go for 'cozy' mysteries, but these have a seductive appeal all their own. He's obviously a great writer - I don't think I would have gotten past page 15 of the first book if he wasn't. My advice? If you've thought about reading the series but aren't sure, give it a try. Borrow the first one (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency) from a friend (if you have friends who read, one of them is bound to have a copy) and give it a whirl. You just might be pleasantly surprised.

But I didn't review this particular book, you say? Piffle. If you've already read the rest of the series, you'll buy this book anyway because you'll know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, you need to start at the beginning anyway. Go over to Amazon.com and bother them instead. My blog, my rules. Now scram. Your books miss you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home